Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 9: Mirando al Mar Soñé

(listen to today's theme)
There are two kinds of McDonald's: those who like people and those who don't. If you are up to a quick eat the difference will be negligible; however, if you carry a laptop with 20 minutes remaining on the battery, it really marks the difference between life and death. Interestingly enough, some McDonald's will not encourage people to stay for too long by not having a single electrical outlet in the entire restaurant available to the public. And that, dear readers, is a big pain in the butt.

The night of the 27th I roamed endlessly for a place to sleep, driving amongst parties (one of which seemed quite interested at whoooo'ing at my rig) crowded by young, sunburnt tourists. As if Spring Break had never ended! Driving along the dark coast, I found a small spot where two RV's where parked, right next to the beach. Parallel parking was a 20-minute chose, so, fed up, I unhooked the little Scotty trailer and put it by the coastline, in alignment with the car. A deep breath of brine breeze, and on to bed!

The next morning was worthy of a postcard. Squinty like a mole, I opened the hatch of the Scotty, to reveal the breathtaking waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Needless to say, I put my swimming trunks and darted into the waves. The water was of a bright turquoise blue, very transparent; the sand was white and fine. A good Round-Up shower later, I hit the road.

I would like to extend my sincerest congratulations to GatorBlue92, as I did not know he was going to have a baby. Due to this absolutely excusable event, I could not meet with him, so, improvising on my feet, I drove a few hours north towards TX76513 (John).

John is a prime example of the Hospitality State, a true gentleman from head to toe. He looks like a hybrid between Stephen Fry and Jeremy Clarkson, which is quite suitable for a man so closely connected with his transportation, or with transportation as a whole –working in the field. He not only showed me his cars (Holden Jackaroo, MB 300SDL, BMW cabrio, W220 E430) and invited me to a wonderful glass of tea; he let me do a much-need basket of laundry.

We met with his girlfriend –a charming, animated Southern lady– and had dinner at one of the best Italian restaurants I have gone to in the last year. John, if you are reading this, I shall take revenge for your generosity in San Francisco when you visit! It seems that the fastest drawer (of credit card, that's me) does not always win the match in the Wild West!

Back on the road, I headed South again. Two hours into the road to Houston, I began feeling sleepy, so for good caution I stopped at a truck stop for some decent sleep. Road hypnosis can be very dangerous: time slows down, the universe shrinks to bright spots of life, and one's eyeballs start agitating as if they were in an awake REM state. Not cool.

The next morning I woke up in the intense, humid heat of Louisiana. Still heading towards Houston, I made a fuel stop, where a young, charming Indian lady asked me about my journey. In that same stop I tried connecting in the local McDonald's, however I had the issue with the electrical outlets. Currently writing from another location (this time with electricity), I am ready to enter Texas in a couple hours.

Mercedes owners of Texas, I can't wait to meet y'all!


Nighttime scene in Florida. A building shaped like the RMS Titanic.


I have never been more thankful for that little ham can trailer.


What do you do when you wake up to THIS? You take a swim!


Florida's streets is the equivalent of floating California in the Caribbean.


Ridiculously tacky resort. UUUUUGHHH!


Best picture of the sand dunes I could take with my limited mobility!


A cop followed me closely on this bridge. Then he turned around (?).


Prepare for cliché: Sweeeet Hooooome Alabaaaaaaama!


Downtown skyline in Mobile, Alabama.


Pretty cool Spanish Baroque, Mission style building in Mobile.


Wonderful Mississippi! Do not even listen to what Phil Ochs has to say.


Hallmark mileage! 70k and counting!


This is a PeachParts inside joke more than anything else.


Sit on the porch, relax and sip some sweet iced tea!


What you see is John, TX6513. What I see is two men wearing sandals.


In the jungle, the mighty jungle, Newport sleeps tonight!


Dear Chad, I finally could put that MercedesShop badge on the car!


Follow that Russian mafia boss! His S430 will take us to... dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment